For the first phase of the physical installation, I wanted to fabricate a basic prototype that prove out the form factor, mechanics of the motors, and strength of the frame.
The design for the full installation:
Originally, I wanted to use wooden dowels and paint the patterns on them. However, these proved to be heavy and expensive. A cheaper, lighter solution was to use shipping tubes. I could order 2”x48” order in bulk from Mcmaster Carr for $16 per 5 tubes.
With these paper tubes, I cnc’ed wooden end caps to attach to servo mounts, which would in turn attach to the servos.
For the prototype, I built a shorter version with just 3 motors and tubes.
Here are some pics of the fabrication process. In the end, I had a motor rotating a column with a spiral for the pattern. I used acrylic to mount the motors, and aligned the acrylic with the wood using cnced holes in the wood. For the top, I cnc’ed an 1⁄8” hole which sheet screws would go through, and for the top end cap I cnc’ed a hole that would be wider than the sheet metal screw, acting as a pole to hold the tube in place.