Our first assignment
For the first assignment of The Temporary Expert, in which we are to create an “Energy Field Guide” on a randomly selected subject, my topic is Sugars.
I first outlined all the systems relating to sugars:
- Psychological factors in consumption of sugar
- Addiction to Sugar
- Sugary food packaging
- The sugar processing/refinement industry
- Marketing/advertising of sugary foods.
- Sugar content of food
- Efforts by government to reduce sugar intake.
- Nutritional Recommendations for Sugar Consumption
- Sugars role in Diabetes
- Sugar in Nature
- Food & beverage manufacture
- Addiction to sugars
- Binging on sugary foods
- Sugar consumption in developing countries/low-income communities
- Positivie & Negative effects of Sugar on human health
- Sugars as a source of energy
- Sugars as a part of carbohydrates
As someone who goes on late night ice cream binges, craves sugary cereals, and orders juices with the most flavor (and likely the highest sugar contant) I became particularly interested in the relationship of industry’s processing and marketing of sugar in foods for profit and societies’ consumption and addition to these foods. I organized everything into a hierarchical system map composing of these two major systems and their sub-systems with related ones next to each other:
My thoughts/intentions with this class
Much of my work until now has been about making something that is aesthetically pleasing or innovative from a technology standpoint.
As I am passionate about subjects affecting the world today, I would like my work to be rooted in concepts that explore these topics. I’m hoping that through this class I will learn to build a framework of research and meaning around my work.